Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:50:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Network Admin <root@entic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS Caching and Virtaul hosting

I have recently changed to a different 64ip subnet and have updated my
domain records to point to the new subnet. (This was done almost a week
ago). I have virtual hosts aliased to my NIC, and they all have reverse
and forward domains assigned to those aliased IPs.

Here is the situation, when I try to start a process/eggdrop using one of
the aliased host names (vhost), eggdrop trys attempting to connect to one
of my previous IP addresses. Here is a short report from netstat taken
after starting the eggdrop process:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp        0      0  209.157.120.94.2980    irc.Prison.NET.6667   SYN_SENT
tcp        0      0  209.157.120.94.2979    209.249.172.252..7531 SYN_SENT

The first line looks normal, but the second is odd. Normal in the sense
that it sends a SYN but still hasnt established a connection. The foreign
address for the second line is one of my OLD IP address. If you look at
the ports they are using, it looks as if it trys to contact my OLD ip
address first and then sends a SYN to the IRC server itself afterwards.
Can anyone explain this?

Am I just seeing a cached version of DNS somewhere? Something conflicting
with something? BTW, I have searched through the eggdrop.config file for
any referennces to 209.249.172.252... nothing.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Thanks.

PS: This is not the only bot, this is happening for all our customer
bots/bx clients or anything that uses vhosting perhaps?