Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:32:21 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: user-config alt path in Linux emulation

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:50:58PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it> wrote:
>
> > The net effect is that there is no way to, for instance, back up the
> > real /usr from Tivoli, etc... as there is no way to get to a real path
> > if there is anything with the same name inside /compat/linux.
>
> Loopback NFS mount.

You are right. It's not elegant at all, but it works. The
company I work for is a NASP and we're planning to offer
companies that colocate at our premises or buy bandwidth
from us the opportunity to backup their machines. I would
love to also support FreeBSD, even though it's not got a
major market share here. With what you suggest it's
possible but I have to teach each customer to do this. My
proposed solution, while more intrusive, could be packaged
as a kld + scripts; writing a script to setup a loopback
NFS mount in any situation is not trivial!

Now if only the Tivoli client run a little faster (and more
reliable)... but this is a different story. If anybody can
help... ;-)

Bye,
	Andrea

--
           Intel: where Quality is job number 0.9998782345!