Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 09:16:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, obrien@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

> : Bleah.  David, go try talking them into replacing vi with Vim.  I'll go
> : get a soda, pull up a chair, and watch the fur fly!  If we're gonna have a
> : stupid donnybrook, let's really get into it!
>
> One can argue that tcsh is really csh version N+1.  There's already a
> precident in the tree when we replaced vi with nvi, which is vi
> version N + 1.

Actually, nvi replaced elvis, so this analogy breaks down.  The original
vi is still not free software, so we've never had access to it in
FreeBSD.

> And look at how much sendmail has grown since FreeBSD 1.0, yet you
> don't hear calls for removing it from the system due to its size
> (other reasons, yes, but not its size).

Actually, size has alot to do with it.  It's big/bloated, so it's harder
to verify that it's correct and secure.

> And look how much bigger the new bind is than the older one.  That
> that was a huge, incompatible change with config files even.

Ahh, but in the case of bind, we have no choice in the matter.  Either
we use the new version of bind, or we don't get to play on the net.

(And, most folks on the net are still running the old, smaller version
of 4.9.7).

> Oh, and did I mention xntpd vs ntpd?  Heck, the name even changed
> there an no one batted an eye, once they got a couple of niggles with
> the config files ironed out.

That's cause most folks don't run ntp.

Nate