Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2014 23:38:34 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partition alignment

On 03/26/14 22:59, Warren Block wrote:

> No.  The starting blocks of the slice and partition are added together
> to determine the actual start block of the partition:
> The first partition begins at 63+0, or 63.  63*512 = 32256, not evenly
> divisible by 4K.  Or just divide the block number by 8, same thing.

Ok.
That 63 was the one that was worrying me...

I'm wondering what's the rationale behind it (it was created by 8.4's
sysinstall); is it so to leave space for the MBR (or whatever boot block
type)?

Should I leave more space and start the slice at 256kB?

> When creating the partitions, use gpart's -a option, and it will add an
> offset so the slice is aligned:
>
> gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -a4k -s8g mfid0s1

So you are suggesting I could leave the slice where it is, and just move
the partitions?

Shouldn't I use -a256k, since that's the stripe size?

  bye & Thanks
	av.