Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 08:27:57 -1000
From:      "Wai Chan" <waichan@hpu.edu>
To:        "Mike E. Matsnev" <mike@po.cs.msu.su>, "Babak Farrokhi" <farrokhi@planet.co.ir>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: outgoing traffic load balancing with multiple ISP

I want load balancing on ISP1 and ISP2 (http traffic only for now).  I don't
want all the http traffic go through ISP1 (nor ISP2).

I want:
		50%  http traffic go through ISP1
	+	50%  http traffic go through ISP2
	---------------------------------------
		100% http traffic

I saw ipfw has forward feature, so I am wondering the following rules can do
the trick or not.
	/sbin/ipfw -f flush
	/sbin/ipfw add prob 0.5 fwd isp1.ip.address all from 127.0.0.1 8080 to any
	/sbin/ipfw add prob 1 fwd isp2.ip.address all from 127.0.0.1 8080 to any
	/sbin/ipfw add allow tcp from isp1.ip.address to any
	/sbin/ipfw add allow tcp from isp2.ip.address to any
	/sbin/ipfw add fwd 127.0.0.1,8080 tcp from any to any 80
	/sbin/ipfw add allow all from any to any

BTW, I am using Squid 2.4 stable WCCP (similar to transparent proxy), and
you are right, I only want to deal with http traffic for now.  I want to
apply these ipfw rules to the Squid box, but just don't know these ipfw
rules and the thought is right or not.  Please provide
advice/suggestion/....

Thanks!

best wishes,
Wai Chan