Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:58:23 -0400
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Howard Picken <howard@tasbusiness.net.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions @ FreeBSD . ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Repost: Internet Print Protocol

This really depends on which firewall software you're running (ipf or
ipfw).  I believe ipp uses TCP port 631, so you probably just want to open
that port.  I recommend checking out the manpage for your firewall (man
ipfw or man ipf).  I use ipfw, so I would add a command like:

ipfw add permit log tcp from any to 204.1.1.1 631

Where 204.1.1.1 is the IP address of my print server.  This assumes you're
not doing any NAT.

Joe Clarke