Date:      06 Dec 2002 10:42:38 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Piero <piero@poprostu.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Gnome crash at startup

--=-KDgluA1nfIX6NAzKRl0B

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 01:27, Piero wrote:

> MM_CHARSET=3DISO-8859-2
> keymap=3D/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/pl_PL.ISO_8859-2.kbd
> SHELL=3D/usr/local/bin/bash
> TERM=3Dcons25
> HISTSIZE=3D5000
> USER=3Dpiero
> MAILER_NEEDS_GNOME_TERMINAL=3Dfalse
> MAILER=3Dsylpheed-claws
> PAGER=3Dmore
> FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=3DYES
> MAIL=3D/var/mail/piero
> PATH=3D/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/http=
d/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:.
> BLOCKSIZE=3DK
> PWD=3D/home/piero
> EDITOR=3Dlpe
> LANG=3Dpl_PL.ISO8859-2
> SHLVL=3D1
> HOME=3D/home/piero
> LOGNAME=3Dpiero
> BROWSER=3Dopera
> _=3D/usr/bin/env

Problem one _might_ be your locale.  I have nothing against Poland, but
GNOME might ;-).  Specifically, you're using the new-style locale
names.  While this _should_ work, there may be problems.  Using the
older compatibility style might help:

LANG=3Dpl_PL.ISO_8859-2
MM_CHARSET=3DISO_8859-2

Now, this pales in comparison to:

> gnomecore-1.4.2     Core component for the Gnome Desktop Environment
  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't do this!  Have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q4.  What I recommend now,
is to remove _all_ GNOME ports,, then reinstall GNOME 2 from scratch
from the ground up.  I recommend, like the webpage says, to use the
x11/gnome2 meta-port since it has built-in checks for things such as
this.

Do the upgrade, and try the locale thing if you still run into
problems.  If the locale thing fixes it, let me know, and I'll dig
around to see if I can fix it.  Good luck.

Joe

--=20

--=-KDgluA1nfIX6NAzKRl0B

--=-KDgluA1nfIX6NAzKRl0B--