Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:02:36 -0700
From:      Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
To:        Richard B Mahoney <rbm49@it.canterbury.ac.nz>
Cc:        Subscribers to FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to increase swap.

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 07:07:01PM +1200, Richard B Mahoney wrote:
> Dear Readers,
>
> I've just cannibalised a couple of elderly 486's for their memory,
> and knocked up an early pentium to a whopping 72mg. Trouble is
> that it started off life with only 40Mg and 85Mg swap.
>
> Is there an easy way to increase the swap to say 160Mg? I'm sure
> this question has been asked before, but for the life of me I
> can't track down a suitable answer.

man vnconfig
man vn

Those will let you configure a regular file as additional swap. A
better solution for a production machine would be to repartition your
drive to have a larger swap partition.

You may have to compile a new kernel with pseudo-device vn.

Suggested command:

vnconfig -c -T -S 75m /dev/special_file_to_use /path/to/regular/file

Then you would use swapon /dev/special_file_to_use to add the 75 megs
of swap to your existing 85, yielding 160.
( fred@condo.chico.ca.us Repeal the DMCA. )