Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 2006 10:51:01 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Matthias.Apitz@Sisis.de
Cc:        Gregers Petersen <gp.ioa@cbs.dk>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0-REL && iwi && wistumbler2

guru@Sisis.de wrote:
> El día Saturday, April 08, 2006 a las 01:22:53PM -0700, Sam Leffler escribió:
>
>> The right solution is to use bpf to collect 802.11 frames either from
>> the 802.11 layer or from the driver.  At the 802.11 layer you get raw
>> frames.  At the driver layer you get much more info (rssi, channel,
>> etc.).  This is how kismet, ethereal, etc. work.  I've had patches to
>> dstumbler for several years to do this:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/~sam/dstumbler.tgz
>>
>> Some cards require that you operate in monitor mode to get interesting
>> information.  I do not know wistumbler2 to know if it works like
>> this--but if it does then it can work with any wireless card that is
>> properly integrated into the system.
>
> I've compiled and installed it, but 'dstumbler iwi0' freezes the
> system;

Just tried it on a releng6 kernel w/ the "new iwi driver" from max and
it doesn't freeze my system but it also does not seem to work right.
OTOH tcpdump works fine so it's in the dstumbler code.  Not too
surprised as it's probably been several years since I last ran it.  Will
dig some more later.

	Sam