Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 12:45:58 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch/Announcement for DHCPD remote root hole?

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:49:11AM -0400, Matt Piechota wrote:
> That's why they're not required to cvsup to get patches.  Do you even read
> the Security Notices?  They include links to get individual patches.  You
> can click on them even, at least I assume you can in Eudora.

There are also some very new, experimental `cumulative patches' here:

4.5-RELEASE-p4
  http://people.freebsd.org/~nectar/secupd-4.5-bin-4.tgz
  http://people.freebsd.org/~nectar/secupd-4.5-sys-4.tgz
  http://people.freebsd.org/~nectar/secupd-4.5-src-4.tgz

4.5-RELEASE-p5
  http://people.freebsd.org/~nectar/secupd-4.5-bin-5.tgz
  http://people.freebsd.org/~nectar/secupd-4.5-sys-5.tgz
  http://people.freebsd.org/~nectar/secupd-4.5-src-5.tgz

These are experimental, not signed, may blow up your system, install
trojan horses, cause hair loss, and so on.  We do need some feedback on
them, however.

Some notes:  You need only apply the latest patch.  You can skip
patches.  Each patch contains all previous patches.  This is to
make it possible to update from one patch level to another using
portupgrade and other such tools.  If you want to see what happens
when installing `over' another patch, or deinstalling an old one, or
using portupgrade, then you'll want both the p4 and p5 patches.
Otherwise, you just want p5.

These only apply to 4.5-RELEASE* systems.

The `bin' packages are the actual binaries.
The `sys' packages are updated sources for src/sys -- they are supplied
to allow you to recompile your kernel.
The `src' packages include all updated sources not in src/sys.

Have fun,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                     http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME           .      FreeBSD UNIX      .        Heimdal Kerberos