Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:16:09 -0700
From:      "Jin Guojun [NCS]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD hardware Users <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nVIDIA nForece2, again

It is a vague problem on term of best performance -- what.
NVidia has better memory bandwidth in AMD motherboards.

However, if SATA is involved, some motherboard either
lowed the memory bandwidth, or had other I/O issues.

In terms of IDE performance, the AMD 760MP has
the best performance in all chipsets in the world. 760 gives true
200 MB/s I/O IDE throughput, where most other chipsets only gives
100/133 MB/s on both IDE buses with 4 drives.

As to onboard NIC, I do not see any performance problem on 100 Mb/s NIC.
Maybe some NICs are not supported.
The performance problem is on 1Gb/s NIC, especially Intel onboard NIC
which chews 100% high-end CPUs.

I have not had MSI K7N2 board yet. ASUS A7N8X is the similar one which
works very good in most areas. I have not tested its IDE controller yet.

VIA VT400 and VT600 are not very good on I/O performance.

    -Jin