Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 15:43:33 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

> > It's not "an ISA device".
> >
> > Specifically, it's "not an ISA device" in the same way that the NE2000
> > is "not an ISA device".
>
> I disagree. ISA PCIC is ISA device with PCMCIA bus.

By definition, an ISA PCIC is an ISA device.  But a PCI PCIC is not an
ISA device, even though it is logically identical.

My point is that it is not useful to treat the PCIC as an ISA device.
It should be treated as a bus bridge.

> For example, SCSI cards are ISA/PCI/PCMCIA/... device. It handled
> by FreeBSD, as ISA/PCI/PCMCIA/... device. SCSI is bus, PCMCIA is
> bus, it same case.

This is unrelated to the claim that the PCIC is an ISA device.  You
need to think about a bus hierarchy, not simply ISA or PCI or PCCARD.

A SCSI pccard may give a bus hierarchy of nexus/PCI/PCCARD/SCSI if the
PCIC is on the PCI bus, or nexus/ISA/PCCARD/SCSI if it is an ISA
device.  We need to treat these accordingly, and in the first case it
is _not_ valid to consider the PCIC as "an ISA device".