Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:19:26 -0700
From:      "Aram Compeau" <aram@tibco.com>
To:        jin@george.lbl.gov
Cc:        caa@midgard.dhs.org, maniattb@cs.rpi.edu, Doug@gorean.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Processor Motherboards

Hi Jin,

It's not so much that they need to make a uniprocessor Celeron but instead that
they protect the P-II & P-III cash cows. If you can run a dual-CPU system with
$60 Celerons that is, for all practical purposes, exactly as fast as a system
with $250 P-III's, then why would you spend the extra money? Realize that it
costs almost the same amount of money to manufacture both CPU's (not quite, but
very close). Intel downplays the Celerons as 'low-end' CPU's when benchmarks put
the lie to that marketing spin. Now the size of the on chip cache will make a
difference under some circumstances (esp. with certain server situations), but
most workstation usage will see equivalent performance with a dual Celeron
system. So, since this could seriously undercut their profit margins, Intel is
taking steps to ensure that corporate users must fill Intel's coffers by buying
expensive P-III's instead of Celerons.

>:-\

So, while I'd agree that there isn't a good technical reason to prohibit
multi-CPU Celeron systems, there is a great profitability reason (from Intel's
standpoint, of course :-).

Aram