Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 11:39:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        blank@fox.uni-trier.de, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org, postmaster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ctm

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> > Søren, I think you are blaming the wrong guy. Since Richard has taken
> > over the CTM production it is working like a charm (Poul-Henning, this
> > is in no way an offence against you). What has caused Richard grief
> > and what has finally led to the direct CTM link from his site to mine
> > is the fact that the _distribution_ of the deltas breaks down from
> > time to time for reasons that are out of his scope. I can judge this
> > well because everytime people complain about a missing delta is has
> > always found its way to our ftp site (maybe it's because we are
> > deliberartely bypassing freebsd.org).
>
> I'm not blaming anybody, I just rationalize the fact that (at least
> to me) CTM delivery is important (and as far as I'm concerned, it
> worked flawlessly under phk's wings, until the old setup broke) and
> its important that it works (and is looked after).
>
> If the problms can be resolved and dataplex.net connectivity
> be brought to a level where it can be reached, then by all means
> do it, but its pretty fatal that the CTM delivery is standing
> still...
>
> In the meantime I'll have to fight cvsup :)

Soren, I would like to be able to fall back to cvsup, because when my
connectivity is good, it would do it, but I don't know any reliable
method of getting back to ctm, without requiring me to download one of
the "A" deltas.  If you know a way to do this, and you would post it, it
would let me stay current right now, but jump back on ctm when I could do
it.

When ctm works, it's reliability factor is so high, of course I'd fall
back to it.  Actually ctm always works (like was said already), it's the
network that lets us down.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |