Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:49:18 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Wes Peters wrote:

> Oh, come now.  FreeBSD's disk partitioning has always sucked.  It does suck
> somewhat less than many Linux linstallers, and a lot less than the OpenBSD
> installer, but it still shoves way too many details and options at the
> average user.  Something akin to PartitionMagic would be an ideal way to go,
> given unlimited resources to throw against this particular problem.

Now, I've never used partition magic, but I (personally) find the
FreeBSD
partition program in sysinstall to be the easiest one I've ever used.
What should be changed to make it easier?

> The main problem with sysinstall all along has been that it is a one-off
> program.  There is no glitz in writing installers, and they're only used
> once, then rarely if ever again.

I disagree. I use sysinstall constantly. There's no easier way to
install
packages. I also direct newbies to use sysinstall to tweak parameters
and install software. Especially on my home desktop system where I'm
constantly installing/uninstalling software. As previously stated, I
find the partitioning a perfect combination of easy to use/easy to
control that I almost always use it when adding disks.

While I won't disagree that there are things in sysinstall that can
be improved (for example, you seem to get lost in menus at times) I
don't think it should ever be pawned off as something that a user
only sees once. Lurk -questions for a while and see how often a
newbie is directed back to sysinstall to correct something or install
a package.

> OTOH, if you really want to take a stab at a FreeBSD problem that will
> make you famous should you succeed, we'd all like to see a lovely, simple
> installer that will run on both direct attached VGA and a serial console,
> is lovely and well thought out, and intuitive to use.  Extra points if you
> can run it over X across the network.

Obviously, these improvements would be good.

-Bill