Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 95 11:33:35 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting tty speed permanently

> What I never understood: Why is it not possible to set the
> tty speed of a /dev/ttyd0,cuaa0 line permanently.
> Whenever I do a stty speed 600 -f /dev/ttyd0  I see that the
> baud rate is not being set.
>
> Reason behind this: I want to send out (via cat) a file to
> the serial device but that device has to run at
> a specific baudrate.

Well, the "via cat" is your problem.

In reality, you want to use a shell script.

If you are familiar with Bourne shell programming, you can:

1)	open the serial port by redirecting data from it to a file
	descriptor.

2)	stty the serial port to set it up

3)	cat the data to the serial port

4)	close the descriptor

> I tried to put a corresponding line into /etc/ttys
> (std.600) to no avail.

Yeah, the ttys line is the rate that getty sets when it succeeds on
open and has nothing to do with the default rates.

You *can* set the default rate in /etc/rc.serial; check the sio
man page.  This is not recommended by me.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.