Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:59:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        ken@kdm.org
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: repeating medium errors and error from "camcontrol defects"

On 26 Okt, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

(Please keep me in the CC.)

[...]
>> What did I wrong with camcontrol and what can I do to get rid of those
>> errors? Do I have to replace the disk or the cable?
>
> As someone else already suggested, you should try using the 'phys' defect
> format, as many drives don't support the block format.

Yes, this works.

> As for the errors, they mean you have a bad block.  Replacing the cable
> won't really affect the problem.  You may want to look into getting a new
> drive, though, since medium errors typically indicate the drive is on its
> way out.

It shows 285 defects with -P and 0 with -G. I thougth I have to replace
it, when the -G list grows too fast, and not already if it just shows
one error.

> To fix this particular bad block, what you should do is make sure read
> and write reallocation are turned on in mode page 1:
>
> camcontrol modepage da0 -m 1 -e -P 3
>
> will allow you to edit the saved parameters and enable read and write
> reallocation.

Already turned on.

> Then, write zeroes to the bad block to force the drive to remap it.

Is there a way to determine the file which is affected? I didn't want
just wrote zeros to it if I didn't know which file this affects. Maybe
I'm able to replace the file from a backup after or before overwritting
the block .

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              The best things in life are free, but the
                expensive ones are still worth a look.