Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:47:35 +0100
From:      Alexander Frolkin <alexander@frolkin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmap strangeness

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 10:10:22PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 10:06:21AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > In /usr/src/usr.sbin/portmap, can you
> > >
> > >   cc -o from_local -DTEST from_local.c
> > >   ./from_local
> > >
> > > and see how this compares to the output of ifconfig -a ?  If this
> > > finds all the interface addresses after lp0, then there *should* be
> > > no problems.
> >
> > I've done that, and I get the addresses of all the interfaces which are 'up'
> > listed correctly, however portmap only works when lp0 is also up. (This is
> > the first interface in ifconfig -a, if that makes a difference). from_local
> > shows the address of lp0, when it is up, as 0.0.0.0, which is correct since
> > the address isn't set because I'm not using the interface at the moment.
>
> Well, I think the next step(s) are to ensure that portmap is
> LISTENing to *.111 and then to use tcpdump to see what address the
> nfs stuff is coming from - without lp0 being IFF_UP.

With lp0 down, netstat shows that portmap is listening on *.111, but there
is no RPC traffic in tcpdump -ilo0 when I run mountd and nfsd.

With lp0 up, netstat shows the same, but there is some sunrpc traffic on
lo0, when the services register.

Also, I've noticed that if the system boots with lp0 down I can bring lp0 up
and then down again, and the services will register (this is without
restarting portmap).

Thanks,

Alexander