Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:36:57 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Rishi Chopra <rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting Cut-Off

Rishi Chopra wrote:
> I connect to the FreeBSD machine via SSH, and use secure file transfer
> to upload/download from the machine.
>
> In the last week, the FreeBSD machine has dropped my connection on 3
> seperate occasions.  I'll queue up some work and leave the machine
> unattended, only to return at a later time and find that the connection
> has been closed.

Is sshd configured with the "KeepAlive" option set?

Does netstat -i or -s report any errors?  Maybe you have a flaky cable?

Do you have any packet-filtering or NAT translation involved on one of the two
hosts?  [ Your description of the setup suggests no, but the behavior you
describe can happen if one were using a (busy and/or dumb) stateful firewall... ]

--
-Chuck