Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 09:10:07 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_2_2

As Nate Williams wrote:

> Umm, so you are basically stating that *unless* you don't have a local
> delivery agent, or you can guarantee that the delivery will never happen
> when you're using dtmail it will work.

No, Nate.  As much as i'm against this change, the outcome of all this
was that dtmail might be doing the correct maillocking already, but
they need writability to /var/mail in order to abuse it for other
purposes (like a local semaphore file, and the user's temp file).

Jordan, we should:

. Make sure Thomas tells us they do indeed the correct maillocking (if
  not, we should not risk shipping CDE CDs without a red warning
  label: ``CAUTION: YOU CAN LOSE ALL YOUR MAIL AND CATS BY USING THIS
  PRODUCT!'' :).

. Urge Thomas to have the actual problem fixed (maybe by consultants)
  instead of being hacked up.  I understand his desire to not spend
  much money into code that's not even his own, but as it seems, there
  are quite a number of FreeBSD hackers here who are capable and
  interested in fixing this problem, and willing to work as a consultant
  to XiG.  Maybe he could sell his fix to the OSF then. :-/

--
cheers, J"org