Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:14:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster AWE 64 -- good choice?

On 12-Dec-98 Nik Clayton wrote:

> Is the SoundBlaster AWE 64 a good choice of soundcard for FreeBSD?
> I plan on using it for playing MP3s, as well as wiring my CD and BT848
> output through it.
>
> The "Jordan's Picks" section of the Handbook recommends the AWE 32, but
> I've spent a large part of today trying to find somewhere that sells
> them, and they appear to be discontinued.
>
> I've had a look through LINT, which does list an (undocumented) awe0
> device, but I'm not sure if the AWE 64 and the AWE 32 are compatible.

The AWE 64 works fine under FreeBSD.  And if you grab the ports (awemidi
and awesfx) from Randall Hopper's web pages, you'll be able to take full
advantage of its wavetable synthesis, giving you fantastic-sounding MIDI.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

E-Mail: Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>