Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 14:48:55 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Sxren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        rmooney@iss.net, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CDDA Extraction under FreeBSD

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Sxren Schmidt wrote:

> >  I've written a utlity called "DAEX", which extracts digital audio from an
> > ATAPI compatible CD-ROM device... if anyone's interested, please take a
> > look at:
> >
> > 	http://eng.iss.net/~rmooney/projects/cdda.html
> >
> >  It requires patches, but it's worth the reboot, IMHO... if you run into
> > any problems, let me know.
>
> Have you looked at the patches Luigi made back in january ??

Interesting this should come up now - I picked up Luigi's patches
yesterday and got them integrated into current (they were originally
patched against -stable, I think) without too much trouble. The cdda
program supplied (written by, I think, Luoqi Chen, mostly works, but with
the brief testing I did seemed to read the data from my CDrom in a
'stuttering' fashion - at least, that was the way the resulting .mp2 came
out when I compressed it with mpeg_musicin).

The patches against the tosha port let it read the track list from the
CD, but it gave a panic when it actually tried to read the data. I
confess I know less than nothing about how to track that down.

When I get home tonight I'll take a look at these newer patches and see
how they hold up for me.

Kris