Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:26:45 -0800
From:      Dean <dean@thegrid.net>
To:        Scott Ullrich <sullrich@in-net.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and ftp

Scott Ullrich wrote:

> FTP's work transparently through the firewall without any problems.  The
> problem is incoming FTP, especially when you want to publish to an
> inside machine.  If you are only worried about ftping from your network
> then you should not have any problems.

I don't think that this is the case.  FTP requires two data connections.
Let's suppose that I'm on the inside of a packet filtering gateway and
want to make an outgoing ftp connection to somehost.com.  My client
would initiate a tcp connection to port 21 on somehost and give the ftp
server a random non-privileged port.  The somehost would then
INITIATE a tcp connection from port 20 to that random port on my
internal machine.  If I want to run a strict filtering gateway, then this
connection should be denied and the ftp would fail.  There is a passive
mode where the client instructs the server to pick a port and then the
client will initiate the outgoing connection.  Unfortunately, not all
clients support the pasv command and not all servers understand it.
    I will probably run some form of proxy server on the gateway machine.
Dean