Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 19:26:35 -0500
From:      "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'" <daleco@daleco.biz>
To:        <Dan@cs.cmu.edu>, <"Pelleg <daniel+fbsdq"@pelleg.org>, "Damien Tougas" <damientougas@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to send e-mail to freebsd.org domain

Damien---

It seems quite apparent that "server.merchantsbarter.com" is NOT
listed in the DNS records for the zone.  I have been wrong before,
but it seems apparent, at least from 5 minutes of nslookup and dig
from dns1.name-services.com.  Any chance they forgot to add it
to the zone files?  "merchantsbarter.com" www.merchantsbarter.com,
and "mail.merchantsbarter.com" all resolve.  The IP addy you gave
resolves to "merchantsbarter.com", not "server.merchantsbarter.com."
There is a difference.

It could also be that you chose an arbitrary name for the server's
hostname and not one listed in the DNS.  Services will run in this
fashion, but mail sent by the server will use the server's name.  You
can easily avoid this problem by renaming the server to one of
the listed names above.  Issue this, for example, as root:

$hostname www.merchantsbarter.com

So, 2 or 3 things that may help:

Talk to your people at name-services.com and have them add
the name, or change the name of the server to something that
IS listed, or change the mailer to use a different hostname in its
output.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey,
DaleCo, S.P.