Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 16:54:48 -0700
From:      Michael Bryan <fbsd-secure@ursine.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)

Alex Holst wrote:

> I was
> surprised when I read about the compromise, because it gives the impression
> that people are still using passwords (as opposed to keys with passphrases)
> for authentication in this day and age. Is that correct? If so, why is that?

Yeah, I'd say it's correct.  As to why, I can think of two reasons.  1) It's
easier to use ssh with passwords, and just not be "bothered" with the key
maintenance.  2) The password is sent encrypted, not in cleartext, and that
is in many people's minds one of the most important benefits of using ssh.
The extra safety of keys is just not always seen as being worth the extra
work.  [And I'm not arguing either side of that issue, different people believe
or prioritize in different ways...]