Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:38:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3/3 SNAP panics before sysinstall!  Help!!!

I tried the 2.2-960303-SNAP boot.flp last night, and it repeatedly
crashed with the following message, just as sysinstall was about to start:

panic: unwire: page not in pmap

Syncing disks...

My system is a 486DX4/100, AMI BIOS, 24 MB RAM, with an 850MB IDE drive, a
700MB Quantum SCSI connected to an Adaptec 2842VL, and a SCSI Iomega Zip
drive as ID#5 on the same controller.  Since everything probes properly in
the kernel, I suspect this is a bug in sysinstall, perhaps related to the
probing of my hard drives (IDE+SCSI combination confusing it?).  I haven't
tried the older snap, but the 2.1-RELEASE boot floppy works fine.

I should also note that my ATAPI IDE CDROM isn't detected by this SNAP
floppy either, although it does detect the secondary controller it is
on.  This is the same behavior as 2.1-RELEASE's floppy, which doesn't
surprise me, since nobody has worked on the driver code.  Doesn't matter
much, since I'll probably buy a SCSI CDROM at the next computer show
(1-1/2 weeks away)...

Please send help on why this SNAP refuses to boot!

---Jake