Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:10:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>
Cc:        "Roman V. Mashak" <mrv@tv2.tomsk.ru>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Nelson, Trent ." <tnelson@switch.com>
Subject:   Re: C-2(Security) blues and the like

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Steve Kudlak wrote:

> It has been a long time since I dealt with those arcane security
> matters. At least they are obscure and arcane to most people. Many
> consider me to be babbling when I go on about these things.  If I start
> saying "rainbow books" (the NSA's security books are in different
> colors) many people assume that I am crazy.:)
>
> Most of the stuff I did involved C-2 security and all the logging and
> authentication stuff. An assumption seems to have been made that
> "logging in" via ftp was the same as logging in via tty or machine. This
> is not so. The ftp code "establishes a user" the login code gets the
> user a shell and all that. For awhile in some OSes with C-2 security if
> one was going to mount a dictionary attack on some user or ever root,
> ftp would have been away to go. It would allow one a large amount of
> attacks with logging. One would definitely get more than 3 attempts to
> "login".  It was a way around C-2 security and was in my opinion a
> pretty serious compromise. Logging ftp "logins"  and ftp use were
> proposed fixes. I just had to find the problems not fix them.
>
> Hmmm...maybe I will post this to BSD hackers and if someone says it is
> off topic I will shut up. Perhaps I should as this info is kind of old.
> But the important to watch for these little back door tricks. Note I
> have not as of late read the FreeBSD ftp code.  Perhaps I should.

This would be on topic for trustedbsd-discuss@TrustedBSD.org, but you
should go review current language, documents, and specifications, or
you'll cover a lot of previously covered ground.  The first thing you are
probably interested in is the Common Criteria description, which I believe
is available from ISO.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories