Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:39:41 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>, Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spoofing file information?

At 09:24 15/11/2001 +0100, Tobias Roth wrote:
>So, if you use md5 to compare files, there are those two critera for being
>sure the your files haven't been tampered with:
>
>1. the md5 binary is has not been modified
>2. the checksums you made and to which you are comparing haven't been modified

Don't forget
3. you're running a kernel which is polite enough to pass the file to md5
intact

   A compromised kernel can do anything it pleases, including keeping the
original copies of files around and passing them to any integrity-checking
code.
   I remember there were some viruses (back in the MS-DOS days) which
operated in this manner.

Colin Percival