Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:40:22 +0200
From:      Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Nick Rogness" <nick@rogness.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DSL connectivity & ISDN backup

[ Snip bad backup experiences ]

 Ted> Further investigation found that the phone company had hosed up
 Ted> the PVC internally somewhere in their cloud - only problem is that
 Ted> at both ends (ours and theirs) the Telco was still merrily
 Ted> advertising the DLCI.

Joys of work with telcos, I imagine ;).

[Snip new keyword in ppp(8) configuration file ]

 Ted> Eric - sign me up as one of your beta testers. :-)

Even if I see the logic to use, it's far over the top for me to code.

 Ted> Only problem I can see is how does PPP know when the main circuit
 Ted> is back online? Does it keep redialing periodically or what?

ppp(8) on a DSL line is usually invoked with -ddial, that makes it keep
dialing when the line goes down.

I've been contacted offlist about the linkup & linkdown scripts (I use
them on my current setup to flush mail queue & get news), the trick
would be to launch a new ppp(8) instance in auto mode when the DSL link
goes down and to kill this instance when the dsl line goes up via
ppp.linkdown & ppp.linkup.

I'll try this setup ASA the DSL line is installed at the office.

Thanks to all who responded

Regards

Eric Masson

--
 A part ça, moi qui suis habitués aux PC Windows, PC Linux, PC SCO,
 Atari, IBM RS/6000, SUN Sparc, ... j'ai été un peu dérouté au début.