Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 2015 18:57:50 +0300
From:      "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@yandex-team.ru>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Navdeep Parhar <np@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   cxgbe and netmap

Hello list!

FreeBSD has netmap support for chelsio T5 cards, which is amazing.
The great thing about implementation is that you can play with
traffic-generating applications without affecting "main" OS interface,
which has always been a problem for Intel cards.
However, this approach (having additional netmap-only ifp) turns to be a
bit problematic for netmap-based networking elements participating in
routing.

In Intel case you can configure all your interfaces, run routing daemon,
run netmap application and punt all to-host traffic  to kernel via host
pipes.
It looks like I can't do this using current implementation: mac
addresses are different for main/netmap interfaces so I can't run
routing daemon on main interface (or sub-interfaces).
I also can't run routing daemon on top of ncxgbe* interface since it
appears to ignore non-netmap-derived traffic..

Is it possible to make ncxgbe* interfaces behave more like ordinary ones?