Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:04:51 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integrated Vibra16 in -current

Andy Sparrow wrote:
[..]
> I've got a Micron W6-Li Lightning board with integrated Creative Vibra16X and
> Adaptec 7880, and I run a WinTV card as well. I also have the ISA Waveblaster
> daughter card that makes the sound setup effectively an AWE32.

We probably need to find out what the PnP device ID is if it doesn't get
found under pcm0/sbc0.

> Given the Plug'n'Pray changes in -current, I pretty much expected to lose
> AWE32 support (as I can no longer use the 'pnp' commands in 'userconfig' to
> probe the "magic" ports for the AWE32).
>
> However, I wasn't expecting to lose the ability to use VoxWare altogether.

How about 'device pcm0' and 'device sbc0'?

> Without PNPBIOS, I got these messages (config file was the same one as used
> under -STABLE, just converted by the simple expedient of fixing the complaint
> from 'config', mostly changing 'controller' to 'device' etc.):
>
> sb_reset_dsp failed
> sb_reset_dsp failed
> awe0 at port 0x620 on isa0
> AWE32: not detected
> unknown0: <WaveTable> at port 0x621-0x624 on isa0
> unknown1: <Audio> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,3 o
    n isa0
> unknown2: <Game> at port 0x201 on isa0

The output of 'pnpinfo' would be useful.

> I tried adding PNPBIOS to the kernel options, with little improvement:

PNPBIOS gets extra info about devices including the motherboard resources.
It is only useful for PnP-aware device drivers, such as pcm/sbc etc.
Voxware is not a PnP-aware device driver so don't expect it to work on a
PnP card.

> Switching 'PNP OS = YES' in the BIOS setup (it's a Phoenix BIOS) didn't
> seem to make any difference to anything.

PNP OS = YES tells the motherboard to not bother configuring any hardware
that isn't needed to boot.  This means things like sound cards and other
devices (pci and isa) are left in a totally unconfigured state.

> Worse, with PNPBIOS enabled, the WinTV card would not work either:
>
> bktr0: <BrookTree 878> irq 17 at device 17.0 on pci0
> bktr0: could not map memory
> device_probe_and_attach: bktr0 attach returned 6
> pci0: unknown card (vendor=0x109e, dev=0x0878) at 17.1 irq 17

This is because the bt878 has not been assigned any memory addresses.  We
don't do PCIBIOS calls to reassign these yet, so if you use 'PNP OS = YES'
you are asking for trouble.

> In fact, in -current, there's a few things that look odd. I always get this
> complaint from the BrookTree driver (which I've never seen on 3.x):
>
> pci0: unknown card (vendor=0x109e, dev=0x0878) at 17.1 irq 17
>
> I get this even if PNPBIOS isn't an option, and the card actually works...

This is a quirk of the bt878 device and drivers.  There are actually two
logical devices in the chip:

bktr0@pci0:10:0: class=0x040000 card=0x217d6606 chip=0x036e109e rev=0x02
none0@pci0:10:1: class=0x048000 card=0x217d6606 chip=0x0878109e rev=0x02

For whatever reason, the bktr driver is only interested in the first one
and leaves the second one unconfigured.

> and I always see this too
> devclass_alloc_unit: npx0 already exists, using next available unit number

This is because you have 'device npx0 at isa? ...' - see GENERIC, it's
supposed to be 'at nexus?' or just 'device npx0'.

> Using the 'pcm0' and 'sbc0' driver (without any 'at isa?' etc. and without
> PNPBIOS so the WinTV card is usable) seems to work fine, but I'm a little
> confused as to why the VoxWare stuff can't work anymore.

It's 'PNP OS = YES' that messes up the WinTV, not PNPBIOS.

Ahh, pcm/sbc do work..  Use that then, the Voxware code's days are numbered.

> Last but not least, 'xmcd' doesn't work for me under -CURRENT (integrated
> AIC-7880 and Plextor PX-12TSi CD-ROM), it never recognises that a CD is
> inserted, and an attempt to eject the CD from 'xmcd' gives a 'Inappropriate
> IOCTL for device' message (sorry, I didn't make a note of the tag on the
> front).

This is a different set of problems. make sure you are using an up-to-date
port and that you have rerun MAKEDEV to create the required devices in
/dev (in particular the xpt* and pass* devices.)  Also, make sure you
have 'device pass0' in your kernel config.

> Is this breakage of the built-in Vibra with VoxWare expected?  Surprised
> the heck out of me...

Pretty much, yes. :-/

Cheers,
-Peter