Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:11:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net (Tani Hosokawa)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

> > I think that your arguments were designed to be defeatist. Do not ask for
> > support for FreeBSD, and you are sure not to get it.
>
> Be a prick and be ignored.  A Linux survey is not your soapbox, just send
> them an e-mail (aka. use the proper channels).

Actually, a piece of snail-mail would be much more effective than
a piece of email, as advocacy goes.

Having looked at the survey, I can see where it is possible to "be
a prick" by filling "FreeBSD" into every text input field.  On the
other hand, I can see where there _are_ blanks where "FreeBSD" would
be an apropriate answer, if the survey was answered honestly and
thoughtfully, and thus the survey could act to raise awareness of
FreeBSD within Borland's marketing department -- which is where the
awareness needs to be raised.

The only way you are going to get a FreeBSD port out of Borland is
to have Borland's marketing department issue an MRD (Marketing
Requirements Document) which specifies that FreeBSD be a supported
platform.  Period.  The same goes for other software companies and
their products, as well.

One of the real problems with a volunteer project that contains
students and others with little real-world experience is that
there is a decided lack of experience with the commercial software
developement process.  This translates into an inability to "work
the process" to obtain the results you desire.

I think one of the reasons Brett gets so little respect in these
circles is that he assumes that a reasonable person working on the
project would have at least passing experience in a real-world
software company (or company, for that matter), and therefore
would not interpret a call to action on a survey as a call to SPAM
the survey and increase its standard deviation, at the same time
reducing its utility (which would truly be annoying to Borland).

Brett: You need to spell out your reasoning a little better if
you want to quiet the peanut gallery, and get people behind any
advocacy project (e.g. the survey results looking like a "grass
roots ground-swell" in support of FreeBSD as a viable market for
Borland products).

> Linux has enough people running around damaging its reputation as it is.
> Did you see those e-mails that Mindcraft got?

Unsupported knee-jerk reactions to percieved offenses are often damaging.

> Sabotaging someone's survey is immature and irritating.

I don't believe that this is what Brett was advocating.

> Don't you think a few e-mails in the support mailbox asking for
> support for a certain platform would be more likely to get you
> what you want?

I don't.  Over the 20 years I have been paid to write code (I
started young, doing consulting), I have yet to see an organization,
with the possible exception of Microsoft -- though I have not seen
inside Microsoft very deeply, that actually uses the support people
as anything other than a very blunt instrument.  Very few companies
have that much organizational intelligence, unless they are a service
company... and then, they are stupid in different directions.  Call
it an effect of the law of conservation of organizational I.Q..

A _paper letter_ to their VP of marketing... or _better_, one to
each of their outside sales managers and several line sales
representatives, each from different people with a widely scattered
geography, and without coordination of content, would be _much_
more effective.  Even better if they are time-staged so as to not
all arrive at once.

But the survey, as it currently stands (unless someone knows the
names of the outside sales managers and representatives at Borland)
is the most effective way currently available to indicate market
potential to their marketing department.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.