Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:40:30 -0700
From:      Anthony Monroe <tmonroe@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [2.1.5-R] What causes...

I was happily installing 2.1.5-RELEASE last night from CD to my new
SCSI disk.  After all the copying was done, and I rebooted the system,
I could convince it to load the kernel, but I was greeted by this
discouraging message:

	panic: cannot mount root

(Or some version of it...)

I guess I could reinstall things to my heart's content, and some
correct partitioning of the disk might cause it to go away.  (But I
don't know, so I'm asking.)

My main question is what causes this kind of panic -- what prevents
the kernel from mounting / properly?  Improper partitioning?  Last
time that happened, i just had a bunch of data disappear.  No panics
or anything.  (Do you need hardware information from me?)

Thanks for your help!

--
	     Tony Monroe, in a nice white wine sauce with couscous
   tmonroe@csua.berkeley.edu  ObURL: http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~tmonroe