Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:27:43 -0800
From:      "Tim Oneil" <toneil@visigenic.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

At 10:27 PM 2/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Jake Hamby wrote:
>
>> I also suggest that FreeBSD add a splash screen with clearly printed
>> directions on how to bypass it to see the hardware probes underneath.
>
>The windows 95 splash screen disappears at the press of Escape,
>revealing whatever is going on on the console (not much usually).

Thats for sure. Even though Microsoft played Win95 off as a 'true 32 bit'
os, and it looks really neat while the 'hardware wizard' does its own
probing and selects device drivers and etc, at boot time I notice that
it continues to load the old 16 bit drivers that were (on this particular
machine) there before 95 was installed. I presume that these drivers are
loaded becuase 95 happily continues to execute whatever autoexec.bat is
present. But I have to wonder, is 95 actually using those 16 bit drivers,
or does it discard them after it restores state? I much prefer the probe
messages on my BSD box, at least I have a fighting chance of knowing
EXACTLY whats wrong if something fails at boot time.

-Tim