Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:08:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@12-222-67-235.client.insightBB.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vinum and CVS upgrades

I have a system running 4.7-STABLE with a 5-drive RAID5 array for
/tmp, /var, and /usr and a second 4-drive RAID5 array for user
files. I am running 4.7-STABLE as of 10/10 and am not experiencing
any crashes.

The system started with 4.6-RELEASE and was updated to 4.7-RC and then
4.7-STABLE using CVS and then the mergmmaster -p/make buildworld/make
buildkernel/make installkernel/mergemaster cycle - no problems.

I tried to use a 128MB boot partition but that was too small to run
CVS updates, now have a 200MB boot partition which is 70% full.

Disks 0-4 are 23GB Seagate SCSI; 5-8 are 46GB Seagate SCSI.  MB is
SM P6DGH with dual SCSI busses.

Questions:

Running MAKEDEV all in /dev does not recreate /dev/da4 through /dev/da8
but running these manually after it finishes does not seem to cause
problems.   Is there anything that needs to be done with the devices
in /dev/vinum, or some other procedure I should be using?

The /var, /tmp, and /usr directories of the boot partition are replaced
by vinum volumes during boot, so the /usr directory on the boot partition
is not being updated by "make installworld".

At some point the files in /usr are going to get
out of sync with those in / so I expect that I have to update /usr.  The
only way I can think of at this point is to do a "find . ! -type d -print"
for "/" with vinum not running and use this to update one of the secondary
boot partitions (da0 through da4 have the same geometry, 200MB ufs, 256MB
swap, rest vinum).

Mike Squires
UN*X at home
since 1985