Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 10:55:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Esborn <nick@grayphics.com>
To:        Christophe Prevotaux <nighty@ebc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2940UW Adaptec SCSI Controler

I run a 2.1.5 system with the 2940UW card and a few Seagate Elite drives.
I've been quite happy with the performance.  Here are some iozone
measurements I took:

Writing the 64 Megabyte file, 'iozone.tmp'...33.671875 seconds
Reading the file...20.984375 seconds

IOZONE performance measurements:
        1993024 bytes/second for writing the file
        3198039 bytes/second for reading the file

The Elites are fast/narrow drives, I don't have any fast/wides or ultras.
That considered, I'm pretty pleased with these numbers.  On the same logic
board I get about 2100k/sec from reasonably good IDE drives.

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Christophe Prevotaux wrote:

> I want to use AHA 2940UW Adaptec  PCI SCSI controller under FreeBSD 2.1.5
> is the support under FreeBSD 2.1.5 fairly good , good or excellent ?
> are there any known problems ? would anyone recommend it for usage with
> more than 32MB of RAM and Wide SCSI-3 Disks ?

Nick
Grayphics
http://www.grayphics.com/