Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:04:54 -0800
From:      Lawrence Sica <larry@interactivate.com>
To:        Rodrigo Campos <camposr@MATRIX.COM.BR>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wrapping sshd

--------------F37E95190F171FB493FFD703

Rodrigo Campos wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:29:48 -0300, Rodrigo Campos wrote:
> >
> > > In the /etc/hosts.allow file there's a comment saying that "is not
> > > normally a good idea" to wrapp sshd(8)
> >
> > The answer has nothing to do with secrurity, although you couldn't have
> > known that without reading the sshd(8) manual page. :-)
> >
> > Look for the first occurance of the word inetd in the sshd(8) manual
> > page.
>
> But my question has nothing to do with inetd, by "wrapping sshd" I mean
> compiling it with support to libwrap, wich would make it read the
> /etc/hosts.allow file in order to grant or deny access based on the
> client hostname or ip address, even when it's running as a daemon.

sshd can do this within it's own config file already.  The reasons for not
running it in inetd are pretty much the same for not wrapping it.

--Larry

> --

--------------F37E95190F171FB493FFD703

begin:vcard
n:Sica;Lawrence
tel;fax:858-793-4069
tel;work:858-793-4060
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.interactivate.com
org:Interactivate, Inc.
adr:;;2244b Carmel Valley Rd;Del Mar;CA;92014;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:larry@interactivate.com
title:Systems Adminstrator
fn:Lawrence Sica