Date:      Sun, 1 Aug 1999 14:33:08 -0400
From:      Edward Akeyson <eakeyson@mail1.nai.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        eakeyson@mail1.nai.net
Subject:   PLIP install

Please help! I am trying to install FreeBSD onto a laptop via plip from a
FreeBSD machine  running 3.2-STABLE (sources cvsupped and built world 6/27)
because the laptop has no CDROM or ethernet interface. I have tried NFS (from
/dev/acd0c), local FTP (mounted CDROM to /pub/releases/3.2-RELEASE), FTP to
mirror site over internet and from DOS partition (C:\FREEBSD). Each time the
install gets to the point of getting the distribution and then hangs: "getting
bin distribution, 1 of 106 chunks...". The same thing happens with any of the
install methods.

I know that the parallel ports on both machines are working and the cable is
good (Laplink under DOS will transfer fine). I believe that I have configured
lp0 correctly and have even added the duplicate remote IP address in the "extra
ifconfig" section of the network configuration. When using FTP over the
internet, the laptop can find and log into the FTP server, so I belive that the
plip link is working. I have tried new floppy images to boot with and still the
same. Some relevant output is listed below. Can anyone help me here? I have
searched the mailing list archives extensively and cannot find the solution. Do
I need to change any parameters of lp0?

[has has 2:30pm ~] # ifconfig lp0

lp0: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 10.0.0.9 --> 10.0.0.5 netmask 0xff000000
[has has 2:30pm ~] # netstat -I lp0

Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
lp0   1500  <Link>                             557   464      626   205     0
lp0   1500  10            10.0.0.9             557   464      626   205     0
[has has 2:30pm ~] # mount

/dev/wd0s1a on / (local, writes: sync 163 async 6585)
/dev/wd0s1f on /usr (NFS exported, local, writes: sync 43 async 32486)
/dev/wd0s1e on /var (local, writes: sync 1048 async 12665)
procfs on /proc (local)
/dev/wd1s1 on /msdos (local)
/dev/wd1s2 on /oldvar (NFS exported, local, writes: sync 2 async 24)
/dev/acd0c on /cdrom (NFS exported, local, read-only)
[has has 2:42pm ~] # dmesg | grep -1 plip

ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0
vga0 at 0x3b0-0x3df maddr 0xa0000 msize 131072 on isa

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this!

Ed Akeyson
Guilford, CT