Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:43:47 +0200
From:      Markus Stumpf <maex-freebsd-hackers@Space.Net>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

Ok, I'll start from scratch ;-)

1) If I compare the number of binaries to the number of datafiles (.txt,
   .ps, .whatsoever) on the systems I have access too, the latter
   outnumber the binaries by FAR.
   I can't see the advantage of having icons defined only for the
   executables in a filesystem browser.
   You can't use .icons sections with "datafiles", so you need some
   mapping mechanism for them anyway.

2) How often do you REALLY copy or link binaries from /bin to
   /somewhereelse and therefor loose a "external" mapping?
   (Can't remember ever having done this except for chroot()ed
   environments in FTP servers for the last 10 years or so).

3) GNOME has a real tricky way to find which application/datafile
   should be represented by which icon. (They use file extensions and
   file(1) and a database of filenames that can be managed by the user
   and overrides the defaults).
   And they have a management tool thats aids you in configuring that.
   Take a look at "gmc" (Midnight Commander), it is a filesystem browser
   that really does it nicely.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses