Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:00:23 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: md5?

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 02:24:32PM -0700, Holtor wrote:
> You guys seem to miss my point.. This is what I did
> back several months ago. And i had:
> NODESCRYPTLINKS=true in /etc/make.conf so when make
> world went threw it didn't demolish my links. Now it
> appears as if that option does nothing. After looking
> in /usr/lib there are not any symlinks at all anymore.
> They are actual libraries in place of where links to
> libscrypt and libdescrypt could go. Thats whats
> confused me, something recently - within the past week
> perhaps has changed.

Yes, there are no longer two separate libraries.  You control which of
MD5 or DES passwords you get via the login.conf capability, and
whether or not you install the crypto sources (or binaries built from
them).  i.e. you still need to install the crypto code to get DES
passwords, but whether or not you do you still get only one libcrypt,
not a symlink pointing to one of two locations.

The ability to select MD5/DES in login.conf was added in 4.2 or 4.3 --
you no longer need to play games with symlinks and any documentation
which tells you to do so is out of date.

Kris

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S--