Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:45:05 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@12-222-67-235.client.insightBB.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vinum and CVS upgrades

On Saturday, 12 October 2002 at 20:08:39 -0500, Michael L. Squires wrote:
> I have a system running 4.7-STABLE with a 5-drive RAID5 array for
> /tmp, /var, and /usr and a second 4-drive RAID5 array for user
> files.
>
> I am running 4.7-STABLE as of 10/10 and am not experiencing
> any crashes.
>
> The system started with 4.6-RELEASE and was updated to 4.7-RC and then
> 4.7-STABLE using CVS and then the mergmmaster -p/make buildworld/make
> buildkernel/make installkernel/mergemaster cycle - no problems.
>
> I tried to use a 128MB boot partition but that was too small to run
> CVS updates, now have a 200MB boot partition which is 70% full.
>
> Disks 0-4 are 23GB Seagate SCSI; 5-8 are 46GB Seagate SCSI.  MB is
> SM P6DGH with dual SCSI busses.
>
> Questions:
>
> Running MAKEDEV all in /dev does not recreate /dev/da4 through /dev/da8
> but running these manually after it finishes does not seem to cause
> problems.   Is there anything that needs to be done with the devices
> in /dev/vinum, or some other procedure I should be using?

I don't understand the question.  You don't use MAKEDEV for Vinum
volumes: vinum(8) creates them automatically.

> The /var, /tmp, and /usr directories of the boot partition are
> replaced by vinum volumes during boot, so the /usr directory on the
> boot partition is not being updated by "make installworld".

Why are you doing this in this manner?

> At some point the files in /usr are going to get out of sync with
> those in / so I expect that I have to update /usr.  The only way I
> can think of at this point is to do a "find . ! -type d -print" for
> "/" with vinum not running and use this to update one of the
> secondary boot partitions (da0 through da4 have the same geometry,
> 200MB ufs, 256MB swap, rest vinum).

Well, if you want to continue running two different /usr partitions,
the obvious thing is to update both of them.  But I really don't
understand why you're doing things this way.

Greg