Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:45:59 +1030
From:      Giulio Harding <giulio@cs.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding extra PCI IDE controller cards...

I've searched the net and a whole bunch of mailing lists, but have yet
to find any information that could help me here: I'm trying to get an
additional PCI IDE controller detected, so I can use the 4 IDE disks
attached to it.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.1.1 (x86), the machine already has an onboard
PIIX3 IDE controller, with one disk attached to the primary channel, and
the extra PCI IDE card is a no-name brand, using the CMD-648 controller
chip. My kernel configuration has all the appropriate 'ata' entries (no
changes from the GENERIC config as far as ata stuff is concerned).

On boot up, the extra controller's BIOS detects the drives succesfully,
as does some part of the FreeBSD boot process (All five drives are
reported by something called 'BTX loader 1.00')

I've tried the extra ata/wdc options specified in the ATA section of LINT:

 # If you are using a PCI controller that is not running in compatibility
 # mode (for example, it is a 2nd IDE PCI interface), then use config line(s)
 # such as:
 #
 #device         wdc2    at isa? port 0 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
 #device         wd4     at wdc2 drive 0
 #device         wd5     at wdc2 drive 1
 #
 #device         wdc3    at isa? port 0 flags 0xa0ffa0ff
 #device         wd6     at wdc3 drive 0
 #device         wd7     at wdc3 drive 1

...but:

a.) It seems odd to use the (obsolete?) 'wdc' drivers when the doc says
immediately after:

 # This driver must be commented out because it is mutually exclusive with
 # the ata(4) driver.

b.) this didn't work anyway, and gave the following output on boot (and
no mention of the disks attached to it):

 ide_pci0: <PCI IDE controller (not busmaster capable)> port
0x6600-0x660f,0x6500-0x6503,0x6400-0x6407,0x6300-0x6303,0x6200-0x6207
irq 9 at device 11.0 on pci0
 ide_pci0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

c.) trying the above device options with 'device atapci1' (as the
on-board controller comes up as 'atapci0') instead, didn't help either,
and gave this output on boot:

 pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1095, dev=0x0648) at 11.0 irq 9

The last point, is that according to the kernel config docs, the 'ata'
device driver should auto-detect *all* ATA devices in the system. The
CMD-648 chipset is supported in the ATA driver, so why wouldn't it and
it's disks be detected in my case?

Nothing in the FreeBSD documentation explains anything about having
extra IDE controllers - I would have thought that this would be a common
enough occurence (especially since vinum makes lots-of-IDE-drives
lots-of-fun) to warrant *some* helpful info...

Has anyone done something like this, or does anyone have any ideas why
it isn't working?

Cheers,
 Giulio Harding                               giulio@cs.adelaide.edu.au
 Systems Administrator                            Phone: +618 8303 6182
 Department of Computer Science                     Fax: +618 8303 4366
 University of Adelaide, South Australia

 "In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made a lot of people
  very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams