Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:25:19 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Craig Boston <craig@tobuj.gank.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: organization

--=-o9yWFGK5ROPzT4meVODS

If memory serves me right, Craig Boston wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 05:05:38PM +0200, Divacky Roman wrote:
> > wasnt here some discussion about moving FreeBSD to subversion (as some =
other
> > projects did - samba, mono etc.)? and subversion solves this...
>=20
> Yes, a few people have looked at it from time to time (raises hand as
> one of the guilty parties).
>=20
> The last I heard, subversion did not scale well to the massive amount of
> files that are in the FreeBSD repository.  IIRC it's been a while since
> this was tested, so it may or may not be true anymore.  SVK may
> partially address this by bypassing libwc.

Well, someone's part-way there with a Subversion mirror of src/.  From
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html:

A public Subversion mirror of the FreeBSD src/ CVS repository is
provided at svn://svn.clkao.org/freebsd/. A web interface is also
available. This is intended for people who would like to try the svk
distributed version control system.

This of course doesn't include ports/ or doc/, so it doesn't really
answer the scalability question.

> Also, repository size is a big issue (no pun intended).  If adding a few
> hundred megs for repo-copies is prohibitively expensive, I don't think
> increasing the repo size by many gigabytes would go over very well.
> Subversion repositories can easily be several times the size of a CVS
> repository containing the same data.

This is dependent (among other things) on the nature of the files in the
repository and which repository back-end is used.  I did a conversion at
${REALJOB} in December where I converted 1.3GB of CVS repository to
about 1.5GB in Subversion.  For the curious, the back-end was FSFS, and
an earlier test conversion using the BDB back-end took about 2.1GB.  I
know this is smaller than the FreeBSD repository.

I have this vague, handwavy feeling (colored no doubt by positive
experiences using it at ${REALJOB}) that Subversion, as well as the
conversion tool (cvs2svn) have matured a bit since the last time this
topic came up.  But I'm not necessarily advocating a switch either.

Cheers,

Bruce.

--=-o9yWFGK5ROPzT4meVODS

--=-o9yWFGK5ROPzT4meVODS--