Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:04:37 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: IDS

[Context lost to top posting.]

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> While it would be great if you wanted to put a port of this together, unless
> you want to be responsible for this for a long period of time - years that
> is -
> then please consider this carefully.  We already have many ports in FreeBSD
> that
> have been abandonded by their maintainers and cause a lot of trouble for
> users.

We do? While I sometimes run into one that's broken, a note to the
maintainer ("make -V MAINTAINER" gets the email address) usually gets
it dealt with. Things that fail to build on bento tend to get pruned
if the maintainer doesn't deal with the problem.

If you've got a long list of broken ports, possibly you should notify
the various maintainers to see if you can get the problem fixed.

> It's much better if these suggestions can be fed back into the package
> developers
> so they get included in their source, without having to be patched in later.
> If this is done then even an inexperienced person can create a port of the
> package and add that into the FreeBSD ports section later on.

This is definitely a good idea. Patches that do anything more than set
options should be fed back to the developers, even if the patches go
in the port. If they get adopted in the next version, then the patch
can be removed when the port is updated to that version.

	<mike