Date:      30 May 2000 01:20:13 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@bafug.org
Subject:   Re: San Francisco Chronicle Discovers FreeBSD

Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org> writes:

> "G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:
>
> > What amazes me whenever I read articles that list the big Internet users
> > who use FreeBSD is that they never ever mention pair Networks, one of the
> > largest web host providers (perhaps even the largest), which is 100%
> > FreeBSD. They currently host 94,391 sites - that's quite a family of
> > FreeBSD sites!
>
> 	I'm assuming you mean "largest _paid_ web hosting..." since geocities
> numbers in the millions. :) You're right though, 94k users is a
> goodly chunk, and I didn't know that y'all were using FreeBSD.

The german company Strato (in cooperation with KPNQwest) claims to
be the largest web hosting service, but I couldn't find any numbers
on their web site. Their data center, they say, is suited for more
than a million domains, so they have probably less than that.
Recently I heard that they said to have had an increase of 400000
domains last year, so it should be a total between that and a
million. Paid web hosting service, that is, and they are using
Solaris, not FreeBSD.

--
Juergen Nickelsen