Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:14:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        webmaster <webmaster@funkltd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS for LAN

Hi,

> I read all the on line docs about building a small DNS server for
> the LAN, and I think they may be out of date (963012 was the
> exaple serial). Trying to boot the example
> file provided at freeBSD.org with all the correct params gave only
> sytax errors when trying to start named. Next, read all the man pages for
> named and bind looking for
> answers and made a localhost.rev with typical evtries for SOA, added the
> ip address of this box as 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf. The nameserver
> still appears not to be working. Please point me in the direction of
> updated on line docs, or tell me what I have forgotten or am doing wrong
> : - )
>
> The exact domain I am trying to make this box authoritative for (as far as
> the LAN is concerned anyway) is my.domain. and the two IP addys are
> 192.168.200.2 and 192...200.3.

I have a similar situation here, and I'll send you the named.conf file off
the list.  If others need a working example, please contact me.

Cheers,

Rob
	Rob Hurle			     rob@coombs.anu.edu.au
	Connect-A			      Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
	PO Box 13			      Fax: +61 2 6248 8905
	Ainslie  ACT  2602		      Mobile: 0417 293 603
	Australia