Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:06:41 +0100
From:      "Gianmarco Giovannelli" <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        mwhite@cmu.edu, FreeBSD-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C589D - "driver allocation failed"

> Thanks for the various suggestions.  I added ep0 to the kernel,
> substituted ep0 for zp0 in pccardd.conf, and checked the ifconfig
> statements in rc.conf, but still cannot get the thing working.

Here it works like a charm (stock 3.0-CURRENT) :

In the I have kernel :

device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr

and in the pccard.conf :
#
# IRQ == 0 means "allocate free IRQ from IRQ pool"
# IRQ == 16 means "do not use IRQ (e.g. PIO mode)"
io	0x240-0x360
irq	9 10 11 15
memory	0xd4000  96k

# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589B, 3C589C
card "3Com Corporation" "3C589"
	config	0x1 "ep0" 10
	insert	echo 3Com Etherlink III inserted
#	insert	/etc/pccard_ether ep0 -link0 link1
	insert	/etc/pccard_ether ep0 link0 -link1
	remove	echo 3Com Etherlink III removed
	remove	/sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete

# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
	config	0x1 "ep0" 10
	insert	echo 3Com Etherlink III inserted
#	insert	/etc/pccard_ether ep0 -link0 link1
	insert	/etc/pccard_ether ep0 link0 -link1
	remove	echo 3Com Etherlink III removed
	remove	/sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli (http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco)