Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 00:20:50 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: Ports tree is now frozen

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

The ports tree is now frozen.

As explained in my previous email announcing the freeze, in contrast
to previous releases we will not be laying down the release tag
immediately, and the freeze will not be enforced by CVS avail
permissions.

This means it's UP TO YOU to restrain yourself from committing without
authorization during the freeze.  I expect committers to take this
seriously, and I do not want to have to back out any unapproved
commits.

Here are the rules of what will and will not be allowed during the
freeze.  Print them out and stick them to the wall/your
forehead/whatever you need to do to make sure you follow them :-)

* Fixing a build error listed on bento or beta does not require
portmgr@ permission (except for fixing an error by upgrading the port
to a newer version)

* Fixing an error not listed on bento or beta (e.g. a runtime error,
or fixing broken port behaviour) requires permission from portmgr@
(explain the problem and provide your *fully tested* patch).

* No port upgrades without permission from portmgr@

* No port removals without permission from portmgr@

* No new ports, except in special circumstances (i.e. not "I forgot to
do it before now") and with permission from portmgr@

* No breaking ports without permission from portmgr@ :-)

* If in doubt, ask portmgr@

The ports freeze will last for a week or so, depending on how the rest
of the release process goes (the published timeline is kind of tight).

I strongly encourage all ports committers and maintainers to spend
this time fixing some of the hundreds of broken ports currently in the
ports collection, and to test existing ports and packages.  Note that
the PR database already contains fixes for many of these ports; I'd
like to see as many of those committed as possible.

Kris
On behalf of portmgr

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/--