Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:34:07 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: mysql-server-4.1.16

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:58:26AM +0100, Julien Lirochon wrote:
> I'm running 5.4 stable, and 6.0 stable, on several machines.
>
> CPUTYPE=pentium4 or CPUTYPE=athlon
> CFLAGS= -O2
>
> If I intall the mysql-server port by "make install", the resulting
> mysqld just can't work. It keeps crashing again and again, even under
> very very low stress.
>
> I have no more problem with -DWITH_LINUXTHREADS. I don't know if any
> other thread lib are working the same way or better, but I just want to
> say that the default port was totally unusable for me. I think it could
> be more suitable if it just worked with the default setup.

This is for discussion on another list, but I'll chime in anyways:

I'd like to see your kernel configuration.  Chances are you're using the
ULE scheduler (rather than the 4BSD scheduler); in that scenario, I can
repeat the problem you're reporting -- assuming it's the same problem.
If you're having a different problem, I'd check the ULE scheduler
anyways.

The problem I speak of:

mysqld will segfault (and continues segfaulting, probably because of the
mysqld_safe wrapper) upon an initial TCP connection.  Using a UNIX domain
socket (if I remember correctly) did not induce this.  My guess is that the
ULE scheduler angers some code somewhere within MySQL.  Using LinuxThreads
did not cause this, but I have zero interest in LinuxThreads (heck, most
Linux users are looking to get away from it now as well).

I haven't tried the ULE scheduler in many months (if not a year!) due
to these kinds-of problems.  I've also only tested this/confirmed this
problem on 5.3 and 5.4; I haven't tried on 6.x.

You might also consider giving MySQL 5.0.x a try, since it's now stable.
There have been threading improvements there.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |