Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:08:05 -0700
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems w/ trying to telnet to my cisco router by tunneling through ssh

On Saturday, Oct 26, 2002, at 18:37 US/Pacific, Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> i was looking at the handbook section on ssh tunneling.  to try it out
> figured i'd try to connect to my 806.
>
> i entered the following command:
>
> ssh -2 -N -f -L 5023:localhost:23 (router's ip address)
>
> and I received this error message:
>
> ssh: connect to address (router's ip address) port 22: Connection
> refused
>
> i thought tunneling like this took port 22 out of the equation?

No, you still have to terminate in a specific port.

> i didn't have any ACL's on the router... and i tried adding a simple
> ACL
> to allow unrestricted inward access to my router from my FreeBSD box.

You have to set up SSH on the router:

ip ssh time-out 60
ip ssh authentication-retries 2

and

line vty 0 4
  exec-timeout 0 0
  password 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  length 0
  transport input ssh

I beleive you also need to set up a user to authenticate against,
rather than just an access password.

I ssh from my freebsd box to my 806 all the time:  ssh username@host.

KeS

(BTW - an aside to the list:  the 806 is the cheapest Cisco router you
can buy that has two Ethernet interfaces - ~$300 new on eBay.  You can
run a full IOS with firewall feature set and VPN capability on it, with
a couple of minor omissions like OSPF/BGP.  A very useful investment if
you're interested in Cisco routing, and works great as an internet
firewall.)